Hidden Valley AWAC Application Materials
Potential applicants: Please read.
- You CAN apply to be an AWAC if you will be 15 this summer and were in a teen program last summer or if you will be 15 and spent last summer away from HVC.
- You CANNOT apply to be an AWAC if you will be younger than 15 this summer or if you were in a regular camp cabin last summer.
Teens who meet the above criteria should download and complete the application below. Please take time to complete the application carefully and thoughtfully. This application is the beginning of our dialogue about your interest in the AWAC position. It is a means for you to present a picture of yourself and what you can bring to the role of AWAC. Providing complete, well thought out, thoughtful and well articulated answers will allow us to begin to understand how you view the role and your interest in it.
- Download the AWAC Application -- Take your time to complete the application.
- With your parents -- Review and complete the Parental Acknowledgment Form.
AWAC applications will not be considered without the completion of this form.
- Email the completed application to HVC.
What Happens Next?
- We will be in touch to confirm receipt of your application.
- If you do not hear from us within 5 days of emailing your application:
Please check your SPAM folder or junk mail to ensure it wasn't filtered out.
- If you still do not have an email, please get in touch with us to ensure it has not been filtered into our SPAM folder.
- Interviews will occur after November 10th.
- Decisions will be made by December school vacation.
Please don't be alarmed if you do not hear from us right away. We plan to make decisions regarding AWACs by the start of winter vacation. It will take us some time to schedule all of our interviews and make decisions. We'll contact you in early November and pan something for later in the month.
Interviews are conducted by a key camp staff member, not the Kassens, and are done by phone as "in-person" is difficult given the geographically diverse applicant pool.
Take some time before the interview to think about why you want to be an AWAC and what you think you will bring to the role. Then, take a deep breath, and find a quiet and private spot to take the call.
Important Information About Decisions
These decisions are often very difficult to make and are made by Peter, Meg and PD's.
Decisions are made using the same values and analysis that we employ to make our staff hiring decisions. We will look at an applicant's paper application, interview and our knowledge of each individual as a member of the camp community.
Every year there is a great deal of interest in a small program. We will have approximately 3-5 positions for "new" AWAC to fill for each session and we anticipate a greater number of applications for those positions. It is possible that we will not be able to find room for some of you who are qualified for camp and of whom we are fond. The hiring process is one that is between Hidden Valley and the potential AWAC. All of our correspondence, including any conversations after decisions are made, will be with applicants only and not with families.